It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:32 am

Jr-1 Comer Beginner class or not? 

Post Jr-1 Comer Beginner class or not?
The good old K-80 Comer AKA Jr-1 Comer, the class my son raced in his whole cadet career.
This class has been around for a long time and there was a point in time when it was the Premier Cadet class. We only had K-80 and Yamaha Rookie. In my past 12 years in Karting I have seen lots of new Cadet motor packages come into play but the comer has stayed with us the whole time. I have watched all that attention fade over the past few years and it looked like the good old Comer was going to be a thing of the past. Well why not, we had all these new, faster, better motor packages to choose from.
Last year at the start of the season it was not looking good for the K-80 as entries where dropping fast because the hot shots where moving on to the faster motor packages. I thought, what can we do?
I was talking with Mike at Bridgestone and found out that there was a lot of last years tire compound (YKC) left over at the factory and they where interested in selling them off at a reduced price. Well that's when I thought it would be great to offer our new comers to the sport, a motor package that has plenty available at great prices, and we could offer this reduced priced tire. Any driver moving up from kid kart would get tire shock because they did not replace kid kart tires for the whole season and some cadet drivers would change out to new tires every race.
What better plan for helping out new comers and kid karters moving up, to acclimated to the sport. The class would "in my eyes" become the Premier Beginner class.
We watched this class grow last year to become a real Premier BEGINNER class and was consistently bringing in big entries, BUT we never called it a beginner class it just worked out that way. The big gun drivers had their K-80's but they would be saved for the National Events only. I watch the season go by month after month and the beginners got better and better.
It is my belief that the K-80 should remain a beginner class but I don't want to write a rule that will need to be enforced making it so. I'm asking all you drivers that have what it takes to run in KPV-1,TaG Cadet or PRD-1 to leave this class for the new drivers and kid karters moving up. It's nice to have a safe place to start racing without all the presser the other classes bring.

Lets make the K-80 our BEGINNER class because it's the right thing to do.

My 2 cents
Chris LaTorre
President

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:17 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Jr-1 Comer Beginner class or not?
Don't you think this topic is a little late for this year. I think as long as this motor package has a national event that brings top cadet drivers together to compete it needs to be included at the club level. Where do you draw the line where it becomes a class for one the fits the age but you feel at eight or nine years old because he can drive a faster class he doesn't belong in the comer anymore. Every class has its newbies. The comer class is the safest to have both due to the lower speeds. The mini-rock will be a good test this year due to the free motor package available to use. There will be drivers in the class with national event experience and some drivers that are very inexperienced. With higher speeds than the comer, this might not have been the best thing to do. My hat goes off to you, you do awesome things with this club and we are happy to race it. I would not want your job, it can't be an easy one. When johnny first started, he raced with Brooks and Drew and the other fast kids. In my opinion this is where he learned the most, driving with the kids that had a lot of experience and learning from driving with them. I don't think we see any extra incidents in this class than we do in any other classes. See you at the track.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 pm

All good points but I draw the line at a year end Top three or Championship. But that's me what do I know?

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:43 am
Profile WWW

Little late to change 2 days before don't You think? Maybe next year would be a smarter thing to do. Run rookie Comer like IKF. Good older kids ran Comer last year (sawyer) with no problem. It is a IKF national class! Run it by IKF rules not Yours please.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 am

Relax Doug, nothing will change. its only my opinion or am i not entitled to that any more?

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:41 am
Profile WWW

No way! :wink: You are right it should be rookie. Great class with it restricted for 7-10. Also They can get away from the dreaded C-50 a year earlier. But for this Year it's to late to change.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:23 pm

:D

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:47 pm
Profile WWW