It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:29 pm

Quick question - towing small trailer with car 

Post Quick question - towing small trailer with car
I know Ive seen a few small cars tow a small trailer to the track - im curious what sort of issues you guys have had with the smaller trailer tires on the freeway - the searches I have done for a small light-weight trailer seem to have a 12" wheel/tire - are you guys running a certain tire pressure when the trailer has the kart/s on it to keep it from speed bounce/wobbles or do you upgrade to a bit larger wheel/tire to be safer at freeway towing speeds

#77 PRD Masters
www.facebook.com/luckyse7enracing

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 pm

Post Re: Quick question - towing small trailer with car
I'm probably one of the most qualified to answer your question, as we tow a 4 ft x 8 ft flat-bed trailer with two carts, + all gear and spares, using a 2009 Honda Fit.

One thing that helps out is that the car has a manual transmission, so overheating an automatic trans isn't an issue for us.

As far as the trailer wheels go, we have 12 inch wheels, and keep the tires inflated to approx 65 psi. There are only a few areas where the road is rough enough to be a concern, and you learn to anticipate and avoid those lanes when necessary. Even with two carts on board, the Fit does a very good job of towing. We usually cruise around 65 ~ 70 mph (honest), and we get better than 35 mpg doing it. And yes, we do use the Air Con during the summer months.

One thing that we do to try and keep things manageable is really think about what we bring to the track. That's not to say we don't try to have adequate spares and tools, but we think more about what we really need and what we can legitimately use than the guy with the 50 ft fifth-wheel probably does. We don't bring a generator, for example, but we do have a workaround plan that allows us to recharge a kart battery if needed without having to rely on our neighbors.

Of course, one has to use some common sense towing with a setup like ours. No tailgating, look ahead, all the normal precautions that one should take when towing no matter how capable the rig.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Glad you chimed in Ive seen your guys set up before and it looks very efficient in terms of what you bring...thankfully I have a few friends at the track that I hope to pit with ...if you guys can get 2 karts to tow with a Honda Fit I can do 1 kart with an eze-up and some tools and a few spares with my Mazda 3...

what size ball hitch are you running?

#77 PRD Masters

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:41 pm

Brad,

Compared to our ride, your Mazda 3 is the big iron!

The hitch ball size was dictated by the tongue on the trailer (Harbor Freight...it must be quality, or they wouldn't have shipped it all the way from China!). We use a 1-7/8 inch ball. The hitch itself is manufactured by a company called "Hidden Hitch". We bought it via the internet from a company called "etrailer.com". I was very impressed....installation was very straightforward and well thought out by the hitch manufacturer (took less than and hour total, with almost no fitting required). I was equally amazed that someone actually made and stocked a hitch setup for the Honda Fit - delivery was less than a week from order.

By the way, you can get a wiring harness nowadays from the hitch supplier. I've always been old-school and spliced up my own, but I'm really sold on buying one now. The harness was totally plug-and-play, with a connector that simply plugs in between the car's wiring and the tail light assembly and you're ready to go. We're into our third year of using the Honda for towing. And, other than getting some amazed looks from other motorists on the highway, it really has done a decent job.

Feel free to stop by and visit if you get a chance. We'll be doing the whole LAKC series, and would be glad to show you our setup and/or answer any questions you may have.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks for the info Ill have to look online, I think I have seen them before...cant wait to get a few looks myself although Im sure the Honda gets some good ones

#77 PRD Masters

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:14 pm