It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:29 pm

HPD and LAKC Introduce Honda Kid Kart class 

Post HPD and LAKC Introduce Honda Kid Kart class
The Los Angeles Karting Championship and Honda Performance Development are teaming up to introduce the Honda Kid Kart class to the west coast. Several organizations in the east are also working towards introducing the class which promises to expand and add to the Comer 51 Kid Karts now in use. The Honda GX50 engine is factory sealed and will provide our young competitors with a super reliable package with no special tuning allowed other than carburetor jetting. John Motley of Race Kart Engineering has put a dozen GX50’s on the dyno and he reports that the engines are incredibly consistent both from engine to engine as well as from day to day. John expects the engine to provide more than 1000 hours of use without major service other than valve lash adjustment.

HPD has prepared complete engine packages ready to mount on Kid Kart chassis with a clutch, throttle linkage hardware, motor mount, and chain guard all included. Just bolt it on your chassis, connect the throttle cable, add oil and fuel, and go. The GX50 will be run under official HPD rules which will be posted to the LAKC web site in the near future.

In an effort to get this new Honda class off the ground, HPD will provide 10 engines to LAKC members for the discounted price of $599 and, in addition to that, HPD will pay your race entry fees for the entire 8 race Honda Kid Kart series in 2013. This works out to a total savings of $680. The Honda Championship series starts with the second race of the LAKC season in March and runs to the season finale in October. Everyone is welcome to get familiar with the engine and enter the demonstration race at our first event of the season on February 24th. The engine packages will be available starting on January 30th. Greg Jackson has the complete details and can be contacted at (562) 420-1494. The retail price of the package will be $799 and only 10 engine packages are available at this one time price of $599. This deal is offered on a first-come-first-served basis to LAKC members only.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Post Re: HPD and LAKC Introduce Honda Kid Kart class
So let me get this straight.. You are selling the engine at $599 and entry fees are covered ????? Whats the catch? We have been testing the prototype now for a year and have 100+ hours on our HPD Honda and no problems whatsoever...

People ask me how I would compare this engine to comer 51. I would say this; I would be comfortable with having only one race engine to run all year long. I loved kid kart racing. But, I hated the money I had to spend on the C51. Towards the end, the flywheels were blowing apart and destroying many engines and hurting people. I saw a buddy of mine get knocked out at grange when one flywheel blew apart on the stand.. I thought he was dead...

So, my thoughts on the matter are that my youngest (6 years old) will continue to run the Honda until he is old enough to run the Rookie comer 80. Kudos to LAKC and HPD for making this happen!!!

I believe that this will grow the sport from the bottom up!

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:35 pm

Stewart,

There is no catch! HPD wants to jump start the Honda Kid Kart class and every LAKC kid kart family stands to benefit from this outstanding offer. Just the free entry savings will save each kid kart racer more than $600 over the 8 race season....and this does not even take into consideration the benefits of a sealed engine with Honda's legendary quality and consistency. No doubt about it, this a game changer and LAKC is thankful that Honda Performance Development has made this package available to our members.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:50 pm

There are several Honda Kid Kart engines that have been in circulation for about a year now. These engines will be legal to enter in the demonstration race in February but will not be legal when the official Honda season starts in March. Only the factory sealed engines will be legal at that time.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:00 am

A few questions for the Honda GXH50: (I already purchased it and am now fixing it to our Tony Kart Chassis)

The C51 I replaced had a 10tooth sprocket the Honda has 16. Do I need to change the rear sprocket?

The motor is considerably taller than the C51, can I re-mount the fuel tank? (looks like it might impede shoulder/steering)

The exhaust/carb is opposite orientation to the C51. Aside from gassing my kid at idle I don't see this to be a problem, but would it be legal to re-route the exhaust w/ straight pipe?

Will LAKC offer both mixed and regular fuel for Kids Kart or should we bring our own fuel, if so what will be allowed for the Honda?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:22 am
Profile WWW