It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Honda Kid Kart Rules Posted 

Post Honda Kid Kart Rules Posted
The HPD Honda Kid Kart rules have been posted to the rules tab here on the LAKC web site. Several questions have come up. Here are some clarifications:

1. The spec gearing is a 89 tooth sprocket used with the 16 tooth primary gear on the clutch.

2. The stock gas tank must be used.

3. A second driver accessible kill switch can be installed. There is an open port on the harness that it can be plugged into. The stock kill switch must be retained.

4. The exhaust system cannot be modified. While at first it appears that fumes might bother the driver while idling on the grid, this has not been a problem with this super clean running engine.

5. The spec fuel for the class is regular 87 octane pump gas.

6. The complete throttle linkage as supplied by HPD must be retained. No modifications allowed.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Post Re: Honda Kid Kart Rules Posted
Am I the only one who has problems with HPD supplied throttle linkage assy.?

1. Can not get positive throttle control, it surges and wont go to full throttle.

2. Can not get a low enough RPM idle to dis-engage the clutch and often wont come down from a high RPM after coming off the throttle (very unsafe for children).

I really believe having a direct throttle system going to the butterfly is the best and safest way to go..

Any input??

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:47 am

Dave, make sure the governor arm is adjusted correctly. Loosen the governor arm clamp at the bottom and, with the throttle held wide open, rotate the shaft that the arm is connected to CLOCKWISE until it stops, then re-tighten the clamp. Otherwise the throttle may not fully close when the the engine returns to idle. There should also be some play in the governor spring that connects the arm to the throttle assembly plate when the throttle is closed.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Will do.. Thank you for the info. We'll see how it performs on track..

Thanks again, Dave.

Side note: Ive heard that some of the HPD engines did not come with the throttle/governer assy., I hope we're not running with this set up and others are not...

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 pm

There were a few motors, (2), that came will the wrong throttle control assembly; there are literally dozens of variations of this motor for different applications. We now have the correct assemblies for those who need them, and will have them at the track on Sunday. Although HPD and John Motley have been working on this package for quite some time, it is still a work in progress and will eventually be worked out.

See you on Sunday, Bruce

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:18 pm

Ok, that makes me feel better, I did'nt want to be at a disadvantage right out the gate. Still concerned about safety, hopefully that will all be worked out before we have any problem..

Thank you for your help/info. Bruce.

Dave.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Just a thought that occurred to me regarding the governor adjustment: Note that when the engine is at rest, the throttle is at full, and is controlled by the governor to return to idle once the motor starts, (essentially, that is your throttle return mechanism). So when adjusting the governor arm, keep in mind that FULL THROTTLE is achieved when the arm is moved to the right, or towards the carb, when adjusting the governor output shaft.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:21 pm