It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Heads Up Kid Karters 

Post Heads Up Kid Karters
LAKC will only offer the Honda Kid Kart class next year for our young drivers. The Comer 51 class will no longer be offered. Honda Performance Development is all set to supply your kart shop with sealed GX50 engines that are ready to go. Please call Greg Jackson at 562 544-6069 with any questions.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Post Re: Heads Up Kid Karters
Don't worry Comer kid karters. I'm sure most other clubs would love to have you race with them. If you get together with the other comer kids and all change clubs it will be the same great racing. I believe there is another club that runs at calspeed on different weekends. If this clubs numbers go down it may come back or you still have great racing elsewhere. Clubs need to build off of the young drivers continuing to come back when they move up to higher classes. If you chase them off they wont return. Been there done that. Just my opinion.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:41 am

Yes Chuck, there should be a new club running at CalSpeed next year that hopefully all of the Comer Kid Karts can run at. There is also So Cal Sprinters that runs over at Adams. They would love to have you guys run with them.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:45 am

LAKC currently has too many classes with too little time in the day. We have always offered Kid Kart even when no one raced the class about 9 years ago. Today the class is healthy, the competition is fierce. The mixed grouping of C51 Comer with the new GX50 has caused much concern about safety. The two different motors have different power bands and the difficulty in passing has been a big concern. The entry count for the new GX50 shows bigger growth with what seems to be a lot less expensive package to run. We are forced to make the decision to run one or the other. At this time we have chose to give the GX50 a chance to shine. Almost all of the other clubs in the Southern California market have introduced the GX50, it will even be allowed at the IKF Grand Nationals this year. We feel this is the best move for the Series and the membership. It is less about not wanting C51 Comer racers Chuck but more about change and LAKC keeping up with it. We have seen a drop in C51 participation and in one years time the GX50 has proved to us that it is a reliable inexpensive introductory package for our karters.
Chris LaTorre
President

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:05 pm
Profile WWW

Hey Chris totally understand about length of day. Any thoughts on running like IKF used to Saturday and Sunday. I'm sure there must be factors I am unaware of. Then you can get kids running both classes and fill both. You can run 2 cadet classes each day to fill all classes instead of running them combined. Maybe splitting the shifter will gain more entry's?

Greg we dont run kid karts. Maybe you know that maybe you dont. Makes no difference to anyone. I'm just trying to understand why 5+ comer kid karters are less important to the evolution of the club then 6+ S4. If things continue in this direction for this club someday those kid may be in s4. How would shifter react if you told them Kawasaki engines are next. Buy a Kawasaki or race your Honda elsewhere. I hated comer as much as the next guy but if you already have them run em. When classes stop coming to the races then eliminate them. This is the second time You have told me to race elsewhere. Why do you keep doing this? We drive over 4 hours to race with Lakc.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:59 pm

Chuck Saturday rental has not been available to us at a price that would make it feasible to offer racing for two days. We have looked into this option in the past and financially it did not work out based on several reasons.
Regarding your S-4 comment to Greg, We are able to blend S-2 and S-4 without the same kind of conflict we have suffered with some of the kid and Cadet classes. When we blend Adult classes the concern of safety and the overall complains are minimal. Most of the motor packages are from the same power plant. I can assure you LAKC and it's staff has devoted over half of our volunteer time solely on the problems and concerns of the mixed C51 and Honda GX50 class. That is taking away from all the other members and their needs. I hope everyone realized we don't just wake up one morning and decide to drop a class, rather we spend countless hours debating the most practical solutions to all of our decisions. Everything we do is thought out and planned based on knowledge and experience to the best of our abilities. We don't always get it right the first time but we keep trying until we do.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:23 am
Profile WWW

My apologies Chuck, I assumed you had a child in Kid Karts because of your interest. I know don't how much you know about the Comer 51 but there huge variations engine to engine and if you have enough money, you can buy engines that are way better than average. That made the class very expensive to be competitive in and it really is not good for the sport when the guy with a $10,000 engine budget dominates the class. That is what has been happening with the Comers. In contrast to that, Hondas have fantastic quality control and are incredibly consistent engine to engine and day to day. It is our opinion that what we are doing levels the playing field and is ultimately good for the sport and our Kid Kart families. Also, many of the Comer owners you are concerned about are moving up to the Cadet class next year so this change will not be a problem for them except that the value of their Comers is not what it once was. If you want to discuss this in more detail, please give me a call.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:45 pm

Greg your theory about the engine prices is right on. Except that's racing. So is that why we got beat in kid karts. So know when these kids move up to cadet now they can spend all there money on over priced engines. Is Honda planning on keeping up with your low price racing? That's an idea let contact Honda corporate in Torrance and see if they will build lakc a permanent track on there facility. Then we can all race Hondas at Honda. Actually someone should look into that (Latorre). I understand what your trying to do and it's great sorry for stirring things up but there would be more comers in my opinion if the class was not combined. You have to choose. Just like prd1 and kpv1.must make a choice.

Last post about comer 50.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:49 pm

Chuck, your portrait of the big picture is .........................?

Sorry for the rant, BJ

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:43 pm

We knew this was gonna happen one day. But, there was ample warning. The Comer 51 is a POS, Honda has a claimer rule and that levels the field. Kudos to LAKC for making the move. Honda has taken a very active and supportive role in the class. and now they are being rewarded.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Thanks Stewart, your support is especially appreciated since you have been there with the Comer Kid Karts and know all to well how expensive it was to be competitive.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Honda is returning to F1 so Honda is the way to go.
And by the way, I am selling a Honda Odyssey.
Buy my Honda Odyssey...to haul your kid's Honda kart...

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:36 pm

As a kid kart Dad......the intro of the Honda (by LAKC) is the best thing that has happened for the kid karts (in my option).....I would not say that the Comer is the POS……but it’s a motor that needs special attention. As all kid kart Dad out there……the attention should be spent on your kids and not the motor. When we ran the Comer motor………it made me not want to go karting with my son due to so much frustration that motor caused me. I am sure that there are kid kart Dads out there that has the knowledge and experience with the Comer but I am not one of those Dad nor I have the extra time in my life to figure it out.

The kid kart class is to introduce new kids into the sport along with the family....and when we were running the Comers......it was not fun for my son and I. The kid kart class is to HAVE FUN with your kids at a reasonable cost and that is what we are getting with the Honda motor package. With the Comer.......it seems like it is based on how deep the parent's pockets are……

The main thing is to have fun with your kids.....

This is only my personal option and experience with the Comer vs Honda motor……sorry if I rattle some Comer Dad’s out there…….

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:45 pm

The Honda KK motor is the best thing that has ever happened to karting!

I am serious. We ran the comers for a couple years (had several of them) and it was nothing but frustration. If the Honda motor had been available back then I would still have dark hair.

Despite all the frustration with the motors, the biggest problem I saw was it seemed to have a large role in running new families out of the sport after only a very short introduction.

I have said many times that I/we only really began to enjoy karting when we got done with the "red motors." Now it appears the "new red motors" are the salvation new karters, clubs, and our sport need to make it fun at the entry level and hopefully strengthen our sport.

Great job LAKC and HPD for having the foresight to get this program going, and to now have moved ahead of all others in this decision which makes the sport and competitors the priority!

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:38 am

Bare in mind that John Motley played a huge role in developing the GX50 motor package.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:03 am