It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:13 pm

PRD Pilot Requirements? 

Post PRD Pilot Requirements?
Talked to a couple people Yesterday at Calspeed and was very confused by what I heard with the PRD Pilot Rules. I thought that a Pilot Class was made for new and upcoming racers. I have two people racing the Pilot class next season who are very cherry and new to the sport. Come to find out yesterday that a Person who Raced all season last year in the PRD Senior Class is going to race the Pilot Class. He informed me that if you came in Top 4 in points you have to move up or stay at the Class you are at. So me I could Race both the Pilot and the Senior Class if I want. There is no Rules preventing me from doing that. I only ran two races with you guys last season but I ran up front with the PRD Senior Class. So how would it be Fair if I went down and raced the Pilot? Like I said nothing preventing me from doing that. Pilot is a great idea if you kept it to first year Karters, and drivers with no Racing experience.

Thanks
Jeffrey Dyer

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:19 am

Post Re: PRD Pilot Requirements?
Jeff,

Are rules for pilot are lean and we prefer not to get into an application and license process. This will only demand more labor to operate our series. The short answer is, the board and race director will be making judgement calls on who can race in our pilot classes.

We have not formalized any quantitative rules, but the way the class worked in our inaugural year (2011), the top 3 (not 4) finishers we felt should no longer be eligible to race in Pilot again. We spoke with them and they were agreeable. The person who finished 4th may race pilot again in 2012. Since you are competeing for the top positions in Senior, you are not eligible for Pilot, as I assume this is clearly evident to you. "Prevention" requires policing which again demands more labor and raises the cost of kart racing. So, we are trusting new members and drivers switching classes to self regulate. Otherwise, we will try our best to catch all we are abusing the system. All that said, it will be extremely helpful if our membership can give us a heads up to investiagate drivers who are registering for pilot and should not be. So, please email or PM us if you see this happening. It will make policing easier if all members/drivers give us a lead. Thanks in advance for the help.

Here's what we printed on our classes website page. These are our qualitative rules:

What does "Pilot" mean?: These class variations are for drivers who are not quite able to compete for the top positions in our championship classes. There are many reasons why these classes may be the best option for you. It may be because you race with older equipment, you have entry level equipment, you choose to race on used tires more frequently, you have less time to practice your skills, and many other reasons. For whatever the reason, enter these classes to compete with drivers in similar situations.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Jeff,
I agree with you... I'm confused, too. I'm 47 years old, bought my first kart (with a PRD) in November and I'm trying to figure out what class I should be racing in. I had no experience racing outdoors prior to two months ago and, quite frankly, have NO experience setting up a kart. It's the latter issue that primarily makes me want to race in the pilot class

I've been to CalSpeed three or four times to practice but I have no idea where my lap times would make me competitive. I would prefer to race in a competitive class, but given that different tires are required for each of the classes, it would make it quite expensive to try out the different classes. :sh

February 12th will certainly be an eye-opener. :shock:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:20 pm

Dan,

I don't want to run the pilot class. I was stating that how can somebody run all season last year with the PRD senior class decide there is less competition and go run the PRD pilot? It's not right and that needs to be stopped. Because its for people like mike and my two I have coming to race. Because like I said of that said person is doing that why can't I? I wasn't top 4 in points. Do you see where I'm coming from.

Jeff
Mike run the pilot class its for beginners. Well sappost to be.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Jeff,

I know you weren't thinking about running Pilot. I continued with your example for the benefit of the readers.

Let me clarify. Again, this is how it worked this year and there is no written rule. The Top 3 series finishers in the Pilot 2011 class were asked to move up into the Senior class in 2012.

If someone ran Senior in 2011 and wants to run Pilot in 2012 (i.e. move down), we should have plenty of data to determine if it makes sense. It is conceivable that it does make sense. In the case where someone wants to move down, not up, the series points are irrelevant. You can have a top racer who for whatever reason missed too many races to be at the tops of the series points.

Again, PM me a name and we can do the research. I'd like to encourage everyone to do this.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Dan sent you a private message. I agree top 3 should move up. But if you ran prd senior for more than half year, and had a chance to switch to pilot last year then you shouldn't be aloud to race the pilot in 2012

Jeffre

Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:35 pm

I agree with Jeff. After an initial season most Pilots should be moving up to Senior.

As for Matt, hopefully his 'confusion' is just of the general type, which I know I suffered from not long ago, just trying to figure out seniors from juniors and masters, etc...

:)

But for Matt it should be easy, at 47, he can gain the advantage by running in PRD Spec Grand Masters, 40 and above. For me it was a great class last year, and though it was my rookie/first season ever of racing, I was competitive immediatly by being in that class, so was very pleased with it.

And Matt has the advantage of being in the 'younger' years. I'll be 59 for the second race of the season!

So the choice is clear for Matt and all us older blokes! PRD Spec Grand Masters...

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Geno,
Don't be modest you know you dominated the whole class. ;-)
Now Dan what do you think, we ran together a few times this year. I ran four races in last year's Pilot class. Do I move up to PRD Spec, or stay and run in PRD Pilot? :-)

ASG Racing #66

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:08 pm
Profile WWW

Alex - Move up / Man up. :lol:

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Dan,

Which group should I be in? I have raced go karts since I was 6 but stopped at the age of 21 and took a 5 year hiatus. I will be coming back this year to run the PRD senior class. Should I be in the senior class or the senior pilot class?

2Wild Karting Tony EVK #46
Tru Tech PRD
PRD Senior

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Eric,

The Pilot Class is made to be a Novice class for new people coming to the sport. Seems you have many years of racing and should race the PRD Senior class. Who knows what the Club will tell you, but thats my side. If I where you I would race the PRD Senior.

Jeffrey

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Jeffrey,

Thanks for the input! Look forward to the first race!

2Wild Karting Tony EVK #46
Tru Tech PRD
PRD Senior

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 pm