It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:50 pm

CalSpeed is back! 

Post CalSpeed is back!
CalSpeed Karting Center today announced plans to resurface it's racing surface this week, prior to the LAKC race March 11. The resurfacing comes just 8 weeks following an initial resurfacing that was found to have issues with rubber build up and overall grip. The facility will be closed on Thursday, March 8 and Friday, March 9 for the repairs.

"We resurface the track every 2-3 years as part of our ongoing maintenance and track improvement plan," stated Rob Niles, CalSpeed Founder and President. "During our third resurfacing this past December, the surface did not perform as it had in the past. We gave it a few months to "rubber in" but that did not happen. So, we have been testing new formulas and have elected to resurface the entire track with a more aggressive, grippy formula."

CalSpeed will run the Nuovo configuration, as scheduled, for the LAKC race March 11. The layout will change to Grande counterclockwise prior to the Tri-C race on March 17, the same layout to be used for the Gatorz Challenge of the Americas series finale on March 29-April 1. CalSpeed will be closed March 19-28 for the NASCAR event at Auto Club Speedway.

For a complete calendar of events at CalSpeed, including Open Practice dates and track configurations, please visit http://www.calspeedkarting.com/general-info/event-calendar.html or email info@calspeedkarting.com

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:34 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: CalSpeed is back!
How much thought went into that decision with no time to practice and figure out a set up that works on the new surface... I took 2 days off work to practice and set up my kart for current conditions, I think this could wait till after this race... there is a month and a half till the next race... :sh

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Good thing I check this site every 15 minutes for any updates or new posts. I had plans to take this Friday off - see you guys on Sunday. Thanks for addressing the resurface issues!

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:52 pm

chris curtis wrote:
How much thought went into that decision with no time to practice and figure out a set up that works on the new surface... I took 2 days off work to practice and set up my kart for current conditions, I think this could wait till after this race... there is a month and a half till the next race... :sh

There is also a Race the following weekend, then the track is closed for two weeks for Nascar then the CoA race ...... etc etc.... so it seems its now or never to me....

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:23 am

I can certainly understand why some people are going to be upset about this. You invest time and money getting your kart setup for a race and then two days before the race a new surface is installed? Now, everyone is required to come out on Saturday (even if they hadn't planned on it, because their kart was already setup), and spend more money to re-setup their ride.

My prediction is that the club is going to make a much bigger haul on Saturday than if the re-surface had been done after the race. Perhaps a discount should be considered for Saturday practice in order to compensate many of the club members that must go out and re-setup their karts.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:08 am

I am posting to clarify a few things:

1. Considerable time and thought went into the decision to resurface the track at this time. Without getting into all the details, there are many factors we took into consideration including: weather, cure time, installer availability, and our entire schedule (not just LAKC race dates). These dates were the best available when all factors were considered and weighed.

2. Fairness to everyone. No matter what dates we choose, someone was going to be upset with the choice. In my opinion, this is the most fair to everyone as you will all be in the same boat on Saturday morning. I acknowledge that not everyone who races on Sunday practices on Saturday, but based on 5+ years of history, nearly 90% of LAKC's entries practice on Saturday. Had we done this on a Monday and Tuesday, the people who are able to come out during the week would be at advantage over those who can't. Based on that same 5 year data set, only 10% of LAKC entries practice during the week. Thus, we acted in the interest of the majority.

3. Less than ideal situation. We always schedule the resurfacing during the end of December as that is historically our slowest period for open practice. That is what we did in December 2011. However, as everyone is aware, the surface did not 'rubber in' as it had in the past and many people voiced their dissatisfaction with the surface. We spent the last 2 months trying to figure out what the specific problem was and how to properly fix it. We were informed by both LAKC and Gatorz Challenge of the Americas management that they wanted the track fixed as soon as possible. Given that directive, and all the factors explained in number 1 above, this was the best time. I honestly don't think there was a better time available considering all the facts, factors, and requests we had to fix it ASAP.

Simply put, we had a problem and did our best to fix it. I feel we did the right thing. I apologize to anyone that has been or will be inconvenienced by this, as it is not our business policy to inconvenience our customers. Truth be told, we elected to resurface the track again, at our sole cost, in order the serve the needs of our customers. I sincerely hope any short term issues will soon be replaced by long term benefits.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:51 pm
Profile WWW

I think everyone agrees that the track didn't have much grip... I actually don't know any difference as I am new to the sport. So I'm really looking forward to seeing what a grippy surface feels like. :D

However, I think this could have been handled in a much better way that would have made it fair for ALL the club members. Why wait until yesterday to announce this? Clearly, this information was known earlier than a day ago. Asphalt companies don't just show up in two days to surface a mile worth of track, do they?

If this announcement had been mad to the club members a week or two ago, drivers wouldn't have been taking two days off of work to practice on an obsolete track. But I guess making this announcement earlier would have resulted in CalSpeed not making as much money over the past two weeks. I certainly wouldn't have been out this past Sunday if I had known a new surface was being put down today. Seems kind of silly. :?

So if I were to connect the dots, it looks like CalSpeed and LAKC strategically timed this announcement so that both organizations would benefit at the cost of some of LAKC's members. So sad... :cry:

Let's go racing.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:20 pm

Matt Magilke wrote:
So if I were to connect the dots, it looks like CalSpeed and LAKC strategically timed this announcement so that both organizations would benefit at the cost of some of LAKC's members. So sad... :cry:

Let's go racing.

OMG are you serious? you actually think thats the case. Everyone is out to get you.....
Did you read the post above? Look at the CalSpeed calendar and see how busy the track schedule is. There is no best time, it needed to be done an now it is.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:30 pm

We also have Obama's real birth certificate and know the father of Snooki's baby, but we're not releasing that info until we can maximize our profit potential on both!

Now I need to get back to watching the unreleased 12 seconds of the Zapruder film I have with my house guests, Elvis and Jim Morrison

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

Scott, when it comes to money, yes, I do believe executives/companies make dislcosure decisions that maximize their bottom line. If you don't believe me, I can send you some papers I've published that show this to be true. Here's a link to one if you're really interested... http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1479867

It's not that CalSpeed or LAKC is "out to get anyone". They are, however, going to make decisions that maximize profits... everyone does. It's called Economics 101.

I completely agree with you that the track schedule is very busy and there is no good time to do this (other than December). My only point is I think the announcement should have been made sooner so everyone could have planned. But, again, that would have been costly for CalSpeed.

We could do a little survey on this forum to count the number of people who wouldn't have been at the track on Sunday or yesterday if they knew the track was going to be resurfaced today. That would be interesting.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:52 pm

Rob, so you're saying you didn't know anything, until yesterday afternoon, about an asphalt company showing up today to resurface your track? Hard to believe.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Matt,

Yes, that is exactly what we are saying.

Regards,

Brad Packard
General Manager
CalSpeed Karting Center
brad@calspeedkarting.com

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Matt Magilke wrote:
Scott, when it comes to money, yes, I do believe executives/companies make dislcosure decisions that maximize their bottom line. If you don't believe me, I can send you some papers I've published that show this to be true. Here's a link to one if you're really interested... http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1479867
No, not really interested thanks

It's not that CalSpeed or LAKC is "out to get anyone". They are, however, going to make decisions that maximize profits... everyone does. It's called Economics 101.
Again, I don't think this was the case

I completely agree with you that the track schedule is very busy and there is no good time to do this (other than December). My only point is I think the announcement should have been made sooner so everyone could have planned. But, again, that would have been costly for CalSpeed.
See Brads post below

We could do a little survey on this forum to count the number of people who wouldn't have been at the track on Sunday or yesterday if they knew the track was going to be resurfaced today. That would be interesting.

I would think the majority would still go practice, as you will find out, any seat time is better than no seat time. Consider it tuning experience

Try to look at the positve side of things Matt, instead of just thinking they are out to get your money.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey Scott - thanks for the support. But why let the facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory...

Come say hi on Saturday, you can find me by the Brinks truck :lol:

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:33 pm
Profile WWW

Doomed if you do, doomed if you don't - you can guys just can never win - sad!

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:01 pm