It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:58 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
2012 LAKC Season - Reflections, Comments, Thanks, Wishlist 
Site Admin

Post 2012 LAKC Season - Reflections, Comments, Thanks, Wishlist
It has been a great 2012 Los Angeles Karting Championship season. Thank you to all the drivers and teams that help support the organization this season. We look forward to seeing everyone at the awards banquet this year.

Also a big thanks to our Sponsors who made it possible to give away prize money and offer tire incentives to drivers.
RLV
Kal-Gard
SKUSA
Empire Karts
2 Wild karting
PSL SoCal
P1 Engines
BRK
Bridgestone
MMK
Hyper Racing Engines
Phil Giebler Racing
Pitts Performance
Acceleration Karting
tmRacing USA
Mack Motorsports
Valley Trophy
HPD Honda Performance Development Inc.

A Very Special Thanks to the following who made this season one of the best in LAKC history:

Jocelyn Family (Lydia, Shelby, Taylor and Cameron)
Estopellan Family (Mike, John and David)
Kevin Williams
Angel Matta
Terry Nash
John Motley
John Passon
Tim Chapman
Kobe Jackson
Josh Bradley
Trevor Champieux
Mason Champieux
Karen Beachner
Mike Graves
Steven Novikoff
Wendell Sawyer
Scott Weeks
Dan Rivera
Matt Magilke
Chris Hutchinson
Alex Gutierrez
Rick McAllister
J.R. Ybarra - Kart Racer TV
Rob Niles and the whole CalSpeed crew (Phil, Mike, Brad)
and of course let's not forget Alex King

Please feel free to share your thoughts about this past season and what you enjoyed most about it. We want to hear your stories (Alex).

Also let us know if you have any comments, concerns or suggestions you would like to see for the 2013 race season.

We look forward to seeing everyone in 2013.

*I apologize if we missed anybody above. Rest assured we appreciate your support.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:14 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: 2012 LAKC Season - Reflections, Comments, Thanks, Wishli
I believe that character is mostly reflected during challenging times. I believe that LAKC has faced a number of challenges in the past and during the past +/- 12 months, including some heavy criticisms at the beginning of the season related to track conditions, class grouping and accidents. At the end of the day, LAKC prevailed and in my opinion, it did so due to the dedication of the leadership of this series, the many volunteers, the sponsors, the kart shops, and its members – that together – will continue to allow LAKC to withstand the test of time, regardless of the challenges that may come ahead of us.

In any event and always in my humble opinion, make no mistake about it, that the highlight of the 2012 LAKC World Championship was definitely the return of Alex King. Granted that he only raced 5 races, not only he has immediately positively impacted the world championship, his results…simply outstanding! Total domination in official practice sessions, untouchable during the last SIX (6) official practice sessions:

October – 1st in P1 and 1st in P2.
September – 1st in P1 and 1st in P2.
August – 1st in P1 and 1st in P2.
June – N/A in P1 and 1st in P2.
May – N/A in P1 and 1st in P2.

NOTE - standing starts...Pre-Main results...and Main results...are not relevant. The key indicator for raw speed is in the official practice session(s).

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:39 am

J. Bradley wrote:
*I apologize if we missed anybody above. Rest assured we appreciate your support.

Don't forget Chris Latorre, Greg Jackson.... and of course E.T. for the demonstration of a proper pit set-up!

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:57 pm

and Joe Stalker
Frank Baldozier
Jarrod Bradley

Last edited by Steven Novikoff on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Alex we need to get you on one of the Musgraves Motorcycles for some desert time so you can work on those standing starts. The MX guys always do better on the starts then the rest. I guess you can always try voting to make practice count for some points otherwise you are not going to get enough points for a Championship.
thanks for all your entertaining self promotion.
Chris

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:19 pm
Profile WWW

Mr. President...current standing start rules for shifters only benefit the 1%...rolling starts baby...rolling starts!

Looking forward to giving my speech at the annual banquet!

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Well the final race was eventful with a huge turnout. Special thanks to LAKC for putting on such good races for all of us to enjoy. And the highlight for me was being able to retain my 3rd spot in the championship points, but it wasn't easy.

The first half of the season had glimmers of hope, although still suffering from lack of reliability with the vintage SKM chassis and Vortex ICC engine that needed a rebuild. Big thanks to Doug at Extreme Karting for helping me nurse my old kart as long as I did.

At the half way point I met the guys at Phil Giebler Racing / E-Motorsports and they helped me get into a barely used 2011 FA Kart. These guys are awesome to work with. I first rented the kart with a Honda CR125 engine. Right away it was an eye opener to experience the difference between the two machines. The handling and cornering speed was vastly improved.

After 2 races with the Honda I missed the 'feel' of the ICC. I know this is a debated topic and there are enthusiast on either side. I then was helped by a fellow racer in the series, Chris Hutchinson. He informed me of a TM K9B that was for sale by Bill Hamble at Second 2 None in Indiana. Bill was a pleasure to deal with and very gracious with his spares and knowledge. Once the TM was fitted to the FA Kart it was like a dream come true; and for me the ultimate kart.

The last two races were trying, a flat tire in the main set me back in September and then a minor crash in the heat in October made for an insane spectacle of passing in the main race. I started 17th overall and ended up 7th. However, despite these obstacles the overall experience of the 2012 season has been very fulfilling. I have learned a lot from my peers and about honing my own race craft. I hope that next year is a continuation of the same.

Kris Valdez # 9 Open Shifter Class

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks to everybody at LAKC for making my first season so much fun. Some thoughts and accolades for the fantastic job that the club is doing:
- Racing on a tight budget, I particularly appreciated the discounted tire program (started the year in Rotax Sr Pilot, transitioned to PRD Sr. Pilot in mid-season).
- The professional level of organization that LAKC exhibits is second to none.
- The other drivers in my class were always friendly and professional (much appreciated).
- Likewise for the guys at the scales and in tech.
- Now, today, I look on the website and the 2013 schedule is already posted (absolutely amazing).

My one regret is that I never got to meet that great driver above all others, Alex King (actually, I wouldn't know him if he ran over my foot, as I've never even seen the guy). But, hopefully, he will resist the calls from F1 and be back next year.

Thanks for a great season, LAKC, and see you next year.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:23 am

Never met the guy? No worries - here is a picture of him circulated by Steve Buckner just the other day...
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... RpH6h0dXvm

John Barthelmass wrote:
My one regret is that I never got to meet that great driver above all others, Alex King (actually, I wouldn't know him if he ran over my foot, as I've never even seen the guy). But, hopefully, he will resist the calls from F1 and be back next year.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:25 pm
Site Admin

[quote="Alex King"]Never met the guy? No worries - here is a picture of him circulated by Steve Buckner just the other day...
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... RpH6h0dXvm

Cute Kid :wink:

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]