It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:56 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Best way to get started. 

Post Best way to get started.
I came out first time on Friday and borrowed a buddies kart and think I'm hooked. So I've been looking at the classifieds here as well as ebay and am looking of where to start to have some fun and possibly get into some races next season. I'm pretty much interested in a Rotax style class, but there seem to be so many options in kart chassis and engines, so I don't want to buy something that I wouldn't be able to race in a class fit for a beginner, yet something that's going to get me waxed lap after lap. I also don't want to be tweaking on a motor that I know nothing about, hence Rotax seem to be the way to go.

My buddy has a CRG chassis with a Rotax engine and I liked the way it handled. Any suggestions? I think most will fit as I'm 5' 9" and about 210lbs.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Post Re: Best way to get started.
Marvin,

I suggest you take a look at the PRD engine, and consider starting in LAKC's PRD Senior Pilot class. I've found the PRD to be a very good engine, and the associated maintenance costs have been more than reasonable. The Pilot class is typically well-attended, with entries usually somewhere around 8 to 10 karts per LAKC weekend. By definition, the Pilot class is a starting point, where costs are kept in check through usage of the relatively-inexpensive Bridgestone YKC tires, and where the new and/or budget-conscious racer can have a chance to finish respectably well.

My (adult) son and I both run this class, and we've found everyone to be friendly and decent competitors. While there are a few young guns that I expect will be moving up at the end of the season, a majority of the racers have to be at work on Monday mornings, so.......

If you're out at the race on the 14th, stop by and say hi. We pit way out in the cheap seats, so walk as far as you can away from the starting grid as you can, then look to your right and we'll be there. :lol:

John Barthelmass
#78 PRD Sr. Pilot

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:53 am

Appreciate it John.. Won't be able to make it out for 14th as will be on vacation. So starting to gather info now. For sure want to make it out for some open practice.. If I don't have a kart by then, I'll learn on a buddies.. Cheaper that way.. :lol:

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:17 pm

John and Marvin,
Pilot class was designed for this exact reason. John you nailed it.
In Rotax we also have a pilot class but because of lack of participation I'm sure we will not have many if any Rotax classes next year.
Chris

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:31 pm
Profile WWW

So if I'm looking to race in events and have more than a few people in the class, I should stay away from Rotax engine? What are main differences between the Rotax and PRD engines?

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:35 pm

I do not want to tell you what motor to run, I'm just saying that the Rotax class at LAKC has very low turnout this year. There are other organizations that offer Rotax. The main difference as far as I'm concern is Rotax is a bit more expensive than PRD. Some would argue you get what you pay for. I will say that a PRD representative is at every LAKC race. They do help out customers and they are local. PRD has showed great opportunities at the local level that others have not like the Pilot program, cash prizes and motor giveaways at our year end Banquet.
When it comes time to find a Chassis just remember that most Karts are imported from Italy and you want to buy a kart that is locally represented because most parts are not universal but Manufacturer specific. Don't buy a kart on ebay only to find out the importer is long gone.
I would recommend you contact one of our sponsors and see what they have. You can usually find great deals on used karts at our local shops and know they will be around on race day if you need parts.
Good Hunting
Chris

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:16 pm
Profile WWW

I appreciate the info Chris.. Very helpful..

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi Marvin,
Im Francois Doran Team owner of PSL So-Cal. I'm a CRG distributor in So-Cal and run the CRG development program here as well. We've establish a great program of Arrive & Drive, which is a good way to get started without fully commiting to the expensive start up cost . Do a test day, race once or twice with us and get to know our team and really what you want and need. I do offer Arrive and Drive karts for several classes of the LAKC series. Its the perfect way to adjust from month to month on the classes that suit you or the equipment type you need before pulling the trigger on a kart.
Call me 951-897-0550 or come by to visit our new shop less than a mile away:
15750 Arrow blvd, Fontana 92335
Thanks!

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]