It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Getting my kid into Karting 
Post Getting my kid into Karting
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'd like any resources in getting my 7yr old into Karting. I'd like to start with rentals or spliting something with someone. I don't have the facility for storage or towing, but am willing to split something with someone. Preferably have a Kart for me to run once in a while.

i'm not looking for a full time setup, just something say 5-6 times next year?

Does anyone have any ideas for this?

Thanks

John

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:21 am

John, What experience do you and your child have to date ? Probably a good idea to just come out the track at one of our events and just spectate and ask questions. A lot of your questions will be answered. There are some pretty good programs for beginners and kids to get started in karting. One the better kid programs is with Dave DiMond at Apex raceway in Perris, Ca. Dave has some programs available that he can include the use of his track karts.
As far as "Splitting" the cost of karting with someone. This could be a bit difficult for a number of reasons. First off, these karts are usually dialed and tuned to fit the drivers size & weight, style of driving, level of experience etc. It would not make any sense to have two different divers for one kart. It would be impossible to tune and keep both drivers happy. Also, who pays for the damage when the other driver crashed ? Lots to think about. This time of year you can usually score on some pretty good deals on a used kart package. Kids moving up to different classes.
Just starting in the kid karts you will not need all the top equipment & tools. Usually the basics will get you through the weekend. Try to hook up with another kid karter and exchange information. If you're planning on 5-6 times next season, that's over HALF of the races. Factor in a few practice days and you're in it full time. . . TRUST ME ! Transportation to the track with a kid kart would not be too difficult as long as you're driving something bigger than a Smart Car. I have seen racers go as far as anchoring a full size kart to the top of the family sedan. Let us all know where you're located. Perhaps someone can help with the transportaion to & from the track. Check out the classified on this site to see if there are some kid karts up for sale.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Just my $0.02. I just completed my third year of kid karts with my daughter and we both had a blast. The first thing I did with my daughter was to take her to Moran Raceway (now closed) in Beaumont for 4 hours worth of lessons to make sure she really wanted to do it. You see ads all the time for karts that were only used once or twice and the kid decided he/she didn't like it. From the first lap there was no doubt that this was something she really wanted to do. I then bought her a kart and driving suit and she practiced twice a month for six months before I entered her in her first race. I may have been a little overly cautious, but the first priority for me is safety and I wanted to make sure she knew how to handle the kart before I threw her to the wolves.

Others may disagree, but I would strongly advise anyone just starting their kid out in karting to get in several months of practice before entering their first race. If you follow this route and your kid is 7 now, he will only be able to run a handful of races before he is too old for kid karts, so I am not sure that I would even mess around with kid karts at this point. I think I would look around for a track that gives lessons for cadet karts and as soon as he is old enough get him a half day worth of lessons and see how he does. I don't know if Adams rents karts, but I have heard they are pretty good instructors. My daughter and I went to Apex racing in Perris last year with Dave Dimond and I can highly recommend him. Again, not sure if they rent karts. I'm not sure that you are going to find someone that will want to split time in a kart with you, but doesn't hurt to ask. I think most of us want to be out there racing every weekend possible :D Also not sure about storage, I thought Cal Speed had storage, might check with them. That would also solve the towing issue. I would also come out for one or two race weekends and spectate. Ask lots of questions. I haven't met anyone at the track yet that was not friendly and willing to give advice.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I spoke with Jeff Axton today and he summarized some good points.

The point of my post was more to enlist some responses like I got.

I think our best bet is to try a local arrive and drive deal like Adams or somewhere else (I didn't find Apex raceway on Google for such a deal).

If my son likes it, we'll move forward from there.

Thanks again for the response.

John

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:53 pm
John,

Just my $0.02. I just completed my third year of kid karts with my daughter and we both had a blast. The first thing I did with my daughter was to take her to Moran Raceway (now closed) in Beaumont for 4 hours worth of lessons to make sure she really wanted to do it. You see ads all the time for karts that were only used once or twice and the kid decided he/she didn't like it. From the first lap there was no doubt that this was something she really wanted to do. I then bought her a kart and driving suit and she practiced twice a month for six months before I entered her in her first race. I may have been a little overly cautious, but the first priority for me is safety and I wanted to make sure she knew how to handle the kart before I threw her to the wolves.

Others may disagree, but I would strongly advise anyone just starting their kid out in karting to get in several months of practice before entering their first race. If you follow this route and your kid is 7 now, he will only be able to run a handful of races before he is too old for kid karts, so I am not sure that I would even mess around with kid karts at this point. I think I would look around for a track that gives lessons for cadet karts and as soon as he is old enough get him a half day worth of lessons and see how he does. I don't know if Adams rents karts, but I have heard they are pretty good instructors. My daughter and I went to Apex racing in Perris last year with Dave Dimond and I can highly recommend him. Again, not sure if they rent karts. I'm not sure that you are going to find someone that will want to split time in a kart with you, but doesn't hurt to ask. I think most of us want to be out there racing every weekend possible :D Also not sure about storage, I thought Cal Speed had storage, might check with them. That would also solve the towing issue. I would also come out for one or two race weekends and spectate. Ask lots of questions. I haven't met anyone at the track yet that was not friendly and willing to give advice.

Paul,

Thanks for the info, and yes, safety is a major concern. I like your approach and will probably do much the same: Adams, practice, then race.

John

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I spoke with Jeff Axton today and he summarized some good points. (I didn't find Apex raceway on Google for such a deal).

Here you go John. Contact Dave DiMond

Apex Raceway 951/940-0701
www.apexracing.com

Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:08 pm