It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
Rotax Sr Main race incident 

Post Rotax Sr Main race incident
First off, great turn out for LAKC that continues to impress me. This club really shows how dedicated they are to their drivers and clearly the drivers are returning the favor to the club by showing up!. I happen to watch the Rotax Sr main event since we had an Arrive & Drive driver for the second time this year in this class and witness the incident that happen on the white flag lap. First note that I was not working for any party that was involve in the incident but I could not stop thinking about it, and kept asking myself how could we avoid this type of confusion in the future? In my opinion, we have to keep in mind what LAKC is. LAKC is an entry level club to develop karting and bring new drivers into the sport. That being said, if you are 2 or 3 or 5 second off, you don’t sign up for Gatorz or IKF or the Grand National, you race here at LAKC and get the seat time and the racing experience to become a better driver. Now regarding the last lap incident, I have to admit, I never thought the leaders were going to catch kart #95 and #77. I sincerely thought that every driver were going to finish on the same lap. I would not have given the 2 back markers a blue flag because in my mind it would have cause them to slow down (probably too much) and then cause more confusion than anything else. HOWEVER, kart #95 and #77 were in a race of their own and made contact in turn 8 (aka hairpin) and became important factors for the leaders. In the horseshoe Dylan did what he had to do by trying to get rid of those back markers and seemed to me like he might have received some unexpected help from behind as well. In conclusion, I believe it was impossible for the start/finish line marshal to predict this, I don’t think Dylan was overly aggressive, and as far as the slower driver issue, well it is a club race and those guys are welcome just like anybody else. It is one of these rare situations to where the only way it could happen is if everything goes wrong….and guess what; everything went wrong on the white flag lap. Never the less, congrats to Herda for his win, but I my mind Dylan won the 12 lap main event….don’t know about 16laps tho, Herda was comin strong!
On a happier note; if some had doubts regarding the competiveness of our Arrive & Drive package that Karttech advertise on LAKC note that our driver Nicola Galloni from Italy finished in 4th place in the Rotax Sr class Sunday with the help of his tuner Ari Baquet.

Last edited by Karttech on Tue May 19, 2009 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon May 18, 2009 11:30 am
Profile WWW

Yo, Francois. Nice plug for Karttech. You are right about the "Club Level" nature of LAKC. But lets not cut ourselves short & overlook the fact that MANY, if not MOST of our members DO race other series like Gatorz, IKF, ProKart etc. So alot of our guys are FAST ! Now this definitely does not mean any beginner or novice is not allowed. We have ALL been at that level before and we will always have newbies and welcome them with open arms. The issue you are addressing is up to US, the club's officials & members to educate the novices and make it safe & fun for all so we can all go home in one piece to our families. What happened Sunday was really NO FAULT OF THE BACKMARKERS. (BTW: There was another backmarker #79 even before the ones you mentioned, almost took us out.....ON THE FRONT STRAIGHT) This driver never received the blue flag either and almost collected positions 2-4. Why was the blue not thrown there ?
Now the Sr. Rotax class is a little unique in which it has some of the fastest guys as well as a few of the least experience. Put this all together on the track at the same time and something's going to give. The problem was the backmarkers were not - at any time given the blue flag to let them know the leaders are coming...and coming FAST ! This issue gets addressed each month at the driver's meeting - Blue Flag to let you know the leaders are coming up. It's a notice to be aware, not a pull off the track and park it flag. So in defense of the backmarkers - THEY NEVER GOT A BLUE FLAG ! Why ? I don't know that answer. Dylan never intentionally or ever will punt anyone out of the way wheather a backmarker or otherwise. He did what he has been taught. That is to get by cleanly & safe.The other kart involved was the #95 not #79. The #95 did give room. And all would have been OK, BUT .... Dylan did get "Unexpected Help" from the #24 CRG, sending him up over the #77 backmarker and ultimately into the outside barriers. That force of a hit was not a "Tap" either. My feeling is the #24 should have been DQ'd for the incident, but that's the call for the Race Directors, not mine.
Luckily no one hurt, minor damage to the kart.(Major to the check book) Able to race another day. Now with that said, next time do we punt the backmarkers or just conceed and pull off as soon as we come up the lappers ? I'm sure you well know how many times we have been in this situation. We're not giving up, we're going to address this and find a solution to the issue at hand. Perhaps there should be more than just one area to display the blue flag ? We have more than one Yellow don't we ?
I honestly do not believe holding off throwing the blue flag because a backmarker "might slow too much". If that's the case, the races will have to be for the alotted # of laps or until the leader comes up on a backmarker ...whichever comes first.

NOTE: Any of the above is of my opinoin and mine only and does not reflect any opinions of LAKC as a club. (just putting this in after the Efrain experience pertaining to Gatorz/LAKC)
:P

Last edited by Joe Stalker on Tue May 19, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon May 18, 2009 1:50 pm

I love the note at the end Joe...It sounds like those late nights advertising show on television...
I was under the impression that everyone was on the same lap; now if some drivers got lapped and never received a blue flag, I agree there was a lack some where. Regarding what you said about Rotax Sr having a lot of fast driver...in my opinion, we can't let the "Pro level" karters change and affect what LAKC was originally meant for, it was, is and will be frustrating for fast drivers like Dylan, Pollock, Ostiguy, Jackson and etc, to deal with slower drivers...boys, welcome to CLUB racing...But simply keep in mind YOU faster drivers have the option to race anywhere you want, however, slower drivers and beginners are confine only to club races
[/quote]

Mon May 18, 2009 3:25 pm
Profile WWW

Quote: however, slower drivers and beginners are confine only to club races.

In the words of Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday... "I beg to differ"

I remember a young 14 year old kid who ran only a few HPV 2 races with LAKC, running mid-pack at best. Then moved to Rotax Jr. He won the opening round LAKC Rotax Jr in January 2007. Then he teamed up for several Gatorz races with a tuner/coach from Quebec, Canada. He took his lumps, doing everything not to get lapped in the "Other Series" but he & his dad learned a ton from a bunch of fast kids, and his coach. Today he holds the '08 LAKC Rotax Sr. title and is currently leading the '09 point chase. He also runs several other race series as well. So, a person is only confined to the surroundings they choose. Gotta let the horse outta the barn once in while to stretch his legs !

:D

Last edited by Joe Stalker on Tue May 19, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Joe, do you realize that mainly everything I have been writing is to do justice to the race YOU and D should have won. I feel like we are getting away from the initial intention here....but regarding what you just posted previously by giving Dylan as an example, keep in mind Dylan always showed a constant progression, when a dad witness that, I agree that you “Gotta let the horse outta the barn once in while to stretch his legs !â€

Mon May 18, 2009 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]